Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Diagnosis

The hospital pediatrician came in today to visit with me. My Dad was there with me because Chris had to take the kids to a birthday party. She told me that she thinks Grayson has Craniosynostosis. Say what? I've never heard of that. When she described to me what it was, I explained to her that his head was shaped like that because of the way he was trying to come out of my pelvis the day before. She said "I hope I'm wrong, but please go get a 2nd opinion". She told me the only way to correct it was to have surgery. A very invasive surgery. She explained to me how the surgery will happen and what it will correct. She said they will probably want to do it between months 4-6 of his life. So, I am thinking between Halloween and Christmas. But, I am going to get a 2nd opinion. She refers me to someone at Texas Childrens Hospital. I asked her about the helmets that little kids can wear. Could that correct it since it's a mis shapen head? She tells me that the helmets are for children who's head is still soft, and not fused like Grayson's. I plan to go home and google some information about it and see what I can find out.

No comments: