Sunday, January 25, 2009

Am I REALLY that kind of Mom?

Before I was a mom, I SWORE I'd never let my kids sleep in my bed with me. I had heard horror stories of children still sleeping in their parents beds until they were practically teenagers. I SWORE I'd never throw over the top parties for my children. Who would go all out like that just for a party? It's just supposed to be cake and ice cream followed by the opening of gifts, right? I SWORE I'd never drive a minivan or a Suburban. Those were for rich soccer moms, or moms of too many kids to fit in a cool sports car, or moms who needed more room than a smaller SUV offered. I Said I'd never put my kids in a "Mother's Day Out" program. After all, isn't staying at home with your children supposed to mean your children STAY AT HOME with you? I SWORE I'd never be a PTO mom. Those were the moms who didn't have anything else to do and that will NEVER be me!

Amazing how life changes when you have children, huh?
I put Kaylee in our bed after our second day at home with her because I would get more sleep with her next to me than with her in her bassinet. I slept the first night with my hand on her chest to make sure she was breathing. Actually, I didn't sleep. I spent the night with my hand on her, but I couldn't close my eyes for fear that something would happen. So, she ended up in my bed. She stayed in our bed until she was almost 2. Then comes Brayden....he slept with us, when he slept. He had his days and nights mixed up at first so it was more of us sleeping and him laying there wide awake sucking on his pacifier, just staring at us waiting for us to open our eyes and look at him. But, if we put him in his crib, he would just cry, so we got more sleep with him in our bed. Kaylee would still occasionally crawl in our bed too because "she couldn't go to sleep in her own bed". Good thing we had an over sized King bed. Grayson slept with me for the first 6 months. he still spends more time in our bed than in his own, but he GOES to sleep in his bed. When he cries and whimpers, nothing calms him until he is right next to me, curled up, with his face in my chest. He HAS to smell me to fall back to sleep. I LOVE it! I love my babies sleeping next to me...just not my toddlers. I don't sleep with a toddler kicking me, tossing, turning, throwing up or pee-ing in my bed....you get the point. But my babies......I enjoy the cuddling time.
Now, to the over the top parties....Yep! That's me! I threw a bug party complete with a bug hunt. The kids made bug houses, searched for bugs, made "Don't Bug me" door hangers, we had bug theme food like ants on a log, bug punch, ants placed on the tablecloth, a bug cake...
We had a train party, complete with a ride along train that looked like Thomas. Each kid got a train conductor hat, train whistles, we had train shaped sandwiches, and a train cake.
We had a Cowboy party, complete with ponies to ride, and each child was given a cowboy hat and a red bandana to wear on their horse ride. We had a horseshoe cake, BBQ and the entire back yard was decorated in an old western town theme.
We had a Hannah Montana party. We had Hannah Montana playing on the radio the whole time. Kaylee was dressed in her best Hannah Montana costume. We had a Hannah Montana cake, party bags full of Hannah Montana goodies, I could go on and on. You get the point. I love throwing fun theme parties. I take a theme and run with it. I get creative, and make every detail go into matching the theme.

Mothers Day Out....Kaylee started going to when she was 3. She needed to be social with other people besides me. She needed to start learning new things and we don't work well together in a learning situation. Brayden and I needed some alone time, since Kaylee and I had some alone time before he was born. So, I enrolled her that year. She LOVED it! When Brayden turned 2, we were planning on baby #3, so I wanted to get him used to the idea of going to school. So, I enrolled him. He now LOVES going. I get some alone time with Grayson, and then I also get a few days of alone time with BOTH boys while Kaylee is at school the other 2 days. I get errands run quickly, I go to the gym, and I get to nap on some days when I have rough nights...(See above paragraph about the kids sleeping with me). So, Yep, I am THAT kind of mom too, apparently! Oh, and STAY at HOME mom.....ha!...I'm NEVER at home. I'm so busy running here and there that I never am home! I live in my car on Tuesday through Thursdays!

So, I sold my Yukon and bought this last week.....




Yep...it's a 2009 Chevy SUBURBAN!!! (but, it is the decked out version with all the bells and whistles, so that justifies it, right?)


I guess I AM that kind of mom, after all!!! And you know what??? I LOVE being THAT mom! Next task.....I'm gonna join the PTO!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! You are blessed!

Michelle said...

Nice ride Tiffany! I, on the other hand, always knew I wanted to be a mini-van driving mum. Pathetic, I know. :)

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Let me know how PTO goes! I've always been curious about that... :)