Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Conference!!!

It's official...my daughter is smart! I always knew this, but it was confirmed today. I had my first ever parent-teacher conference. Her Kindergarten teacher said she was a GREAT student! She knows all her letters and numbers. She knows all her shapes except for rectangle, and all her colors. She knew more sight words than the teacher has taught the class, thanks in part to her reading classes she already took. She can read level 1 and 2 books already. (The goal is level 5 by the end of the school year.) She can count all the way to 100, which is a goal for the end of the school year as well.

She said she was well beyond other children in the class. I am debating testing her for the gifted and talented classes at the end of the year. I don't want her to be bored in school. I want her to excel and always be challenged to learn more. But, I don't want her to feel stressed about being in the program, or make it a competition. So, we'll decide when the time comes.

But, she is a talker.....DUH! She has stayed on green all year so far, but she has almost had a color change the past few days because of her talking.....no surprise there...I actually warned her teacher about her talking before school started this year.

So, my first conference experience was very pleasant, if I must say so. I am very proud of my little girl! She always amazes me with her abilities to soak up everything and is always learning new and different things daily. From the day she was born, she has been described as "inquisitive" and it has been true so far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have her tested for GT! We are blessed to live in a district that supports the gifted kids. Ryan & Julia "glow" on the days that they have GT. We will have Chase tested in January.