Friday, August 29, 2008

Kaylee's First Week of School

Kaylee is officially a Kindergartener. As her mommy, I was not anxious for this day. It marks the first official day of "growing up". I'm not ready for my baby girl to grow up. I will miss her being so helpful with her little brothers. I will miss her lengthy nonsense babbling in an attempt to keep herself from napping. I will miss her asking me a million questions about the earth, and everything in it...things I don't have the answers to. I will miss her whining....wait, did I just say that out loud? I will miss everything about her. I know, she's only gone for 7 hours, but still.......this is new territory for me. Ok, so it's not about me......it's about her. I know this. She's growing up, and I can't stop it. (I will try and turn off the tears now)

Sunday night, she was so nervous that she almost made herself sick. Her tummy hurt. She cried all day over everything and nothing. I finally sat her down and asked her what was wrong. She was nervous, she replied. Nervous about what? Afraid she would not know all the answers, afraid she wouldn't make friends (Ya, right, have you met my daughter, the social butterfly?) and afraid she would get lost (hhhm, could have something to do with the fact that Mommy got lost last Thursday at meet the teacher night?). I assured her that it was OK to be nervous, but that everything would be ok. She has the help of her teacher, the student teacher, and all the grown-ups at the school. I told her she has NEVER had problems making friends, and that she would probably make a friend on the first day.

We were right. Monday, she met a friend. We asked what the friend's name was. She couldn't remember, but it starts with a "D". I had to snicker at this. So did Chris....he always laughs at me when I swear something starts with a certain letter....SWEAR IT...and I am usually wrong....WAY wrong. (that's the ONLY thing I am EVER wrong about, by the way...hehehe) But, she did good. Her teacher played a scavenger hunt game with the class where they had to go around the school looking for certain people with a shape on them (nurse, librarian, gym teacher, music teacher, etc). Wish they would have had that on meet the teacher night...maybe I wouldn't have gotten us lost..... 2 times.

Tuesday, we asked her if she remembered her friends name. Nope, she talks too quiet and I still didn't hear her.

Wednesday, she finally remembered her friends name....Daylyn. Not sure how to spell it, but that's how you pronounce it anyways.

Thursday, she had another good day. She's getting smart...WAY too smart.

Friday, she had to see the nurse. She handed me a note when she got in the car. I was like "uh-oh" I read the diagnosis....."chapped lips" I think I laughed out loud. She went twice that day to have vaseline put on her chapped lips. Her friend had to go to...the friend who's name she couldn't remember.....because her strap from her flip flop came loose, so the nurse had to tape it back on. Poor nurse. I wonder how much of her day goes to stuff like this. What a wonderful lady.

She has a long 3-day fun filled weekend ahead of her. Then, back to school on Tuesday. I'm not used to us getting up that early, but we'll get in a routine soon.
Photobucket
(eating her breakfast before her first day of school)

Photobucket
(she's ready to go)

Photobucket
(Wednesday's outfit, too cute not to snap a picture of)

Geesh, she looks so grown up already. I'm about to cry.



A friend of mine sent me this and I thought it was too good not to share.

A Kiss for Kindergarten

Tomorrow is the day my child will go to Kindergarten for the first time. A whole new world opens up to you then. You are ready to meet it. You’ve handled your new Kindergarten clothes so many times in anticipation of the day you would wear them.
But I wonder how ready your parents are for this new life of yours? If I could, I’d hold you back just a little longer, closer to me, where I can shelter your world and share your life.
Tomorrow when you take my hand for the walk to school, I will be the one who dawdles. When you reach the school door, you’ll leave me, anxious to join the others. You’ll walk through it as the others have done without a backward glance. There I’ll stand wanting to shed a few tears because my baby has become a little child. But, I won’t cry. Instead I’ll concentrate on being proud. Proud that we have made you secure enough in five years to stand on your own for a little while before racing home to share the news of the day. How we’ve built so much security, I don’t know. All we’ve done is LOVE you.
Tomorrow you will meet the ultimate authority. Soon you will tell me with complete confidence what has to be done because “the Teacher says.” I must surrender part of my position to another who is about to enter your life and your heart. No longer will I know all your friends. Tomorrow you will broaden horizons and meet other children, I shall know only through your tales of the school room.
You will soon learn to keep your own little secrets as you master the art of making Christmas presents, and someone else’s hands will help you to do it. But there is much for us to share this year as you tell me what “Teacher said” and “Joey did”. And I will listen enchanted as I view the new world through your eyes.
It’s so hard to let you go, my child. For five years you have been my companion. Tomorrow I begin a new life too. Yes, I hate to see you leave behind the sheltered world of home but I will always be with you. Love reaches beyond the doors of school rooms, beyond the boundaries of neighborhoods, beyond time and place.
In the morning, I will help you put on your new crisps clothes and we will be on our way. But tonight – tonight for the last time, you are simply my baby. I hold you now at bedtime just a little longer, cuddle you just a bit closer, give you one more kiss before saying goodnight. In your excitement, you don’t notice my stealing that extra kiss. I need it for kindergarten.

Adapted from Family Digest

Are you crying too?

No comments: